SimpleQuest is a concise and straightforward D100 system, easy to play yet filled with all the tense excitement and storytelling potential associated with percentile systems.
It is a concise and compact version of OpenQuest, with a few extra rules to make it more pickup and play.
- Compact for travelling and viewing on phones/tablets
- Concise for straightforward fantasy games, one-shots and short campaigns.
This hardcover book weighs in at just over 150 pages, in 6×9 inch format, with full-colour illustrations by Jeshields and a gorgeous wrap round cover by Jon Hodgson.
This book contains the following chapters.
- Characters. Use either a points allocation or a random system to generate characters who are motivated and capable of going on fantastic and
- Equipment. This chapter deals with the tools of the adventuring trade. Weapons, armour and general gear such as rope, backpacks and transport costs.
- Rules. This chapter explains the system’s workhorse, the D100 Skill Test, in its basic and opposed versions. There is also a section of spot rules for common situations that may arise during the game.
- Spot Rules for common adventuring situations.Combat. This subset of the rules looks at what happens when blades are drawn and used in anger.
- Magic. This chapter details a single magic system that every player character uses.
- Creatures. Monsters and animals to populate your adventures.
- Gods and Goddesses. To use either as patrons or religions to join.
- Appendix: Life Events. An optional rule that gives player characters quick one-line backgrounds.
Note I’m currently selling the nicely digitally printed copies leftover from the Kickstarter. It has sewn pages, a ribbon, printed endpapers and a short introductory adventure (“The Well”).